How to execute a job search from home is a tough question to answer since the number of companies hiring right now is reduced, particularly within the shopping center industry.
Our advice for job searching while sheltering in place is to build your network as much as you possibly can. Start by thinking about:
- Firms you’ve done business with in the past
- Existing friends in the industry
- Companies you’ve admired from afar
- Anyone you’ve formed a connection with in the industry
Beyond these sources, expand your network by talking to industry-respected recruiters and by reviewing postings on as many job boards as you can.
For commercial real estate, that includes:
- ICSC: ICSC Talent HQ allows job seekers to post a resume and employers to post jobs. Check out ICSC job listings here.
- NAIOP: NAIOP’s Career Development Overview page features career resources. The Job Opportunities page includes current openings for job seekers and allows employers to post jobs.
- ULI: ULI’s Career Center offers resources and job listings to secure a job in real estate or land use.
- Select Leaders: Select Leaders allows users to post a resume, search for jobs and secure career coaching.
And there are plenty of others out there with whom to connect.
This is a daunting time, but remember this adage from my mentor Rich Poline: “It only takes ONE to make a match!”